Saturday, March 6, 2010

Mobile Response (reading response assignment)

When i read the article "Cellphones in public: social interactions in a wireless era" by Lee Humphreys I felt like I was reading a standup comedy bit. A lot of the material was a collection of small observations like the "you ever notice. . ." comedy that Jerry Seinfeld would do. What makes a funny standup bit is the truth behind it. I think the article was absolutely indicative of people's tendencies when using their phones.

For instance, when I am with a friend who gets a call, I will usually look through the messages on my phone or try to distract myself in other ways. I also eavesdrop; not intentionally but there are always flash words that pull me into the conversation and I find myself "not paying attention" but at the same time listening carefully. I, like many of the respondents in the study, do acknowledge "the social norms of privacy and civil inattention" (Humphrey 818), and try to distract myself but still pay attention to whats happening.

What was probably most relatable about the reading was its discussion of being on the phone with a person respondents didn't want to speak to. If a conversation with a such a person runs on for too long I begin to make visible/audible indicators of frustration. Sometimes I'll make hand motions--i.e. eye-rolling, hand-spinning (as a sign to wrap it up)--or I'll start saying "alright" a lot in order to wind the conversation down.

With regard to circumstances other than those described in the article the most glaring one I can think of is sexting. I don't think anyone expected it to ever happen but the act of sending sexually explicit material via mobile device has become a serious issue in the United States. It has become more and more prevalent in recent years and as we discussed in class, it will be a pretty weird discussion for people to have with their kids.

This article was an accurate depiction of social tendencies when using cell phones. It's weird that we react the way we do to being shut out of conversations but at the same time enjoy the high-and-mighty power of determining who's call we will and won't answer. It just goes back to basic human reactions and feelings towards authority and vulnerability--it's always interesting stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment