Sunday, March 7, 2010

International Women's Day

Today was International Women's Day and the Center for Persian Studies held a conference at Van Munching Hall in honor women in the arts. They hosted five wonderfully talented female Iranian artists who put on display their magnificent talents. It was held in Persians so it was tough to follow at times but I found it greatly rewarding. I also found this. It is a collection of a few cartoons from the early 20th century depicting Iranian women. Pretty accurate as to how Iranian women were treated. The situation has improved in many rights but women are still 2nd class citizens in Iran. If you are interested in this topic and would like some more info please read my previous post on Women in Iran.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I've ever suggested you to look at this woman's stuff (or if you already know about her) - but she visited UMD last spring. Unfortunately (and I'm kicking myself for this), I missed her talk. But in all seriousness, she'd be a really cool blog post because her stuff is absolutely amazing: Shirin Neshat http://bit.ly/cijA25

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah she actually visited a class i was taking. she's incredibly smart and funky. her movies are really cool--sometimes a little over my head but still really well done.
    thanks for the heads up!
    ill be sure to do a post on her.

    ReplyDelete